Monday, September 20, 2010

A Slight Problem

Hello Knitters,

I have to start by saying that my sister's bridal shower on Saturday turned out wonderfully! We couldn't have asked for a better day, or a better group of people. There ended up being over 50 women and a few children and they all seemed to have a good time. My sister enjoyed it as well, so the whole thing was a hit! The Lord really blessed the whole day :-) I wanted to get some pictures to share but I was so busy that I never got the chance. I know a few other ladies did though, so maybe I will be able to share some with you all yet.

On to the fiber-related news....I do have a project picture today!! It's a bit of a yay/oh-no type of project though.


It is my first crocheted shawl that I'm making for a present. It turned out lovely, however, it is not nearly as big as it should be and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe I am a tight crocheter since I'm a tight knitter and somehow that affected the overall size? I followed the pattern exactly so I don't think that was it. I did make it out of acrylic instead of the mercerized cotton that it called for because I couldn't find any, maybe that could be the problem. I'm not really sure if you can block acrylic so my plan of stretching it while blocking is not really working. If any of you have a suggestion or advice on what I should do I'd greatly appreciate it!!

This project has been the one I've been focusing my attention on the most as of late and now that it's done (well sort of), I've moved on to some knitting for my swap partner's final package that is due at the beginning of next month. I've also made a few other little things that I'll share tomorrow. I should be getting back to my knitting though. It's so nice to just be able to relax and knit now that the shower rush is over :-) I'm going to enjoy this time while it lasts before the wedding rush begins! Have a wonderful afternoon everyone!

Happy Knitting

2 comments:

  1. The shawl is beautiful! :) I haven't blocked a lot, only a vest, some bookmarks and a blanket. But after reading through some comments on the "Blocking - Before and After" thread on Rav, I learned that acrylic can be blocked. Steam blocking potentially? What I've learned is that once you block acrylic, you "kill" it, and you won't have to reblock it again, unlike wool or cotton that has more of the natural elasticity that requires you to reblock every time an item is washed. I hope this helps some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rae Lynne for the information!! I'm so glad to know acrylic can be blocked!! I'm going to do some research on steam blocking since I've never done it before. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete