Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My New Year's Resolutions

Hello Knitters,

To help keep myself accountable, I thought I'd post about my New Year's Resolutions.  I always start each year with a bunch of grand ideas of things I want to accomplish, but by the time February and March roll around, I've already forgotten them or have lost interest.  So this year, I thought it would  be a great idea to share them with you all so that I'm more likely to stick to them or at least attempt to.

My New Year's Resolutions
  1. Do more charity knitting and crocheting - I'd like to aim for at least one or two projects each month.
  2. Knit and crochet more for fun and not out of a sense of obligation - I've found over the last year that I haven't always enjoyed my knitting as much as I should.  I think making projects that I don't really want to because I feel I have to, as well as trying to rush through a project to get on to the next thing without actually enjoying the process of it has been the problem.  This year I want to be more mindful of my knitting and try to enjoy the process as well as the finished object.  In my mind knitting and crocheting should be a relaxing thing not something I can't wait to finish so I can have a break.
  3. Work from the stash to get it down to a manageable size - It has gotten a bit out of hand over the years.  I have a lot of yarn I bought when I was first learning to knit that I'd like to work through.
  4. Be more discriminating when buying yarn - I'd like to replace some of the stash yarn I go through with better quality yarns and I want to make sure that when buying any new yarn it is for a specific project or something I know I will use in the near future.  No more stashing away random balls for no particular reason.  I have to be strict with this if I'm ever going to get the stash under control.
  5. Have Christmas and birthday presents finished well in advance - last year it seemed with each gift i was down to the wire on getting them finished and it didn't make for relaxing knitting to say the least!!
  6. Learn to dye yarn better - This is something I enjoy doing and would like to get better at.
  7. Try out some new techniques and more complicated projects - Fair isle, intarsia, a pair of Latvian mittens, more detailed shawls, fancy socks and a cardigan for me.
  8. Blog regularly - I'd like to post at least 3 times a week as much as I can.
And a few more personal ones are:
    9.  Grow in my walk with the Lord.
  10. Learn to slow down and enjoy life.
  11. Journal, draw and sketch more.
  12. Become more organized. 

So that's my list and I'm sticking to it!  :-)  Have you already made your resolutions?? 

Happy Knitting!!

3 comments:

  1. Terrific resolutions! Good luck in the new year with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great resolutions on your list. I hear ya on #2. I decided I won't knit for Xmas anymore, well I say that now. Maybe for a b-day gift but I have to treat myself, my Princesses, and my man this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!!

    Kekumukula - Good luck with your knitting plans this year, it's always good to treat yourself and those most important to you :-D

    ReplyDelete